It’s undeniable that solar-powered devices had taken the limelight away from traditional CFC ones way before so many eco-friendly alternatives were in place. While most of us have come across solar-powered devices once in a while, many are still skeptical about shifting towards these eco-friendly alternatives. The other reasons are the lack of proper tutorials on using them and a guide for their maintenance; there’s a gap in getting people to shift to solar devices.
In this article, we’re talking about a hot topic – How long do solar garden lights last and help you clear the misconceptions about solar garden lights, tips to maintain them and retain their performance for years to come.
What are Solar Garden Lights?
Solar Garden Lights, run by solar energy, are often used to the alluring garden decor in many homes to amplify the garden’s beauty. They absorb energy from the sun during the day via the installed solar panels and store it to shine bright during the night.
Installing solar garden lights is quite inexpensive and requires no effort in setting them up. Most solar garden lights come with a darkness sensor, so you don’t have to go through the hassle of switching them on and off. Take them out of the package, place them at your garden’s walkway, and you’re done. With the improving technology, solar lights are an easily accessible garden decor option that takes care of your place’s appearance and does the job well. According to studies, solar-powered garden lights can provide an illuminance close to 40-watt bulbs.
What are the Advantages of Having Solar Garden Lights?
Here are some of the advantages of solar garden lights.
- Solar Garden Lights keep you rest assured about the product quality, which might not be the case with other electricity entities. These lights are powder-coated, which helps in sustaining better and efficient light-emitting conditions.
- Solar Garden lights are usually preferred as a great alternative for regular LED lights because of their versatile qualities. There is no underground running wiring as you see in traditional garden lights, making solar garden lights install easily. There’s no risk of people getting tripped over extension cables.
- Solar Garden Lights support low carbon technology, which means your power bills are reduced to zero. They enhance the aesthetic value of your space as well as provide security during the night. Even if the weather is bad, you’ll be able to use them as they run on rechargeable batteries. The only thing you’d need to do is place the device well so that it can retain all the energy coming from the sun.
How Long Do Solar Garden Lights Last?
Experts say that solar lights can last up to 25 years when used with LED batteries. In standard batteries, they’re prone to decaying and require regular maintenance, making solar lights last for 3-4 years. If the solar garden light you’re using isn’t bright like it used to be before, it’s time that you replace the batteries. Many other factors affect the longevity of solar garden lights; some of them include placement, frequent cleaning of solar panels, and usage of high-quality batteries. Let us explore some of these factors to know how to get the most of solar garden lights.
How to Retain Solar Garden Lights’ Performance?
Replace batteries frequently
Replacement batteries are easily available in the market and are a better alternative than purchasing new ones. It is always advised to keep a stock of replaceable batteries, as the existing ones degrade over time and affect the lights’ illuminance. Track the longevity of the batteries and keep replacing them with new ones to maintain your solar garden lights performance.
Keep a check on the panels.
To get the most out of your solar garden lights:
- Keep a check on solar panels. As solar panels directly attract sunlight and produce electricity, they have some fragile components that may get damaged over time, affecting the performance of the lights.
- Ensure you clean them regularly to make them work effectively.
- Use a wet cloth to clean the inner parts, and dry them by wiping them with a dry cloth.
Avoid using them during monsoons.
Although solar garden lights are designed to withstand all kinds of weather conditions, they cannot handle strong winds and rain pour. In such cases, you can use the override switch to retain its lifespan. Override switch is a manual switch with most solar lights to switch the light on/off during bad weather. This turns off the light sensor when unnecessary and helps your solar light last longer.
Avoid placing them near your artificial light sources
When you place solar garden lights near street lights or outdoor spotlights, the solar light sensor detects light from these sources, draining the batteries, and in some cases, they may turn off prematurely. Place them in areas where you get sufficient sunlight. The solar cell should face due south and be positioned perpendicularly to the sun.
Get the Most Out of Your Solar Garden Lights
No matter what, solar garden lights are sure to last for two years before the batteries will need to be replaced. However, if you want to keep on using them, ensure that you follow the above tips to make them last for at least 10 to 15 years before they burn out.
With the right care from a dependable solar panel installation and maintenance company, you can maximize the life of your solar garden lights so that they keep on providing aesthetic value to your garden area.
Solar Garden Lights are a one-time investment. All it requires is adjustments of its position and timely maintenance, and they’re ready for years to come. If you’re looking for the best solar garden lights to brighten up garden space, ensure you look out for an IP rating solar light to rest assured of their quality and performance. Switching to a sustainable lifestyle isn’t that costly; shifting from traditional solutions to eco-friendly ones can do the work.
Do solar energy and its applications interest you? Get complete insights on everything solar from SolariFlex. Keep yourself updated with the latest solar trends.